Monday, December 28, 2009

Gift Ettiquette??

I have to say this was one of my best years, gift-wise. Despite the fact that we agreed it would be a "Small" Christmas, I still ended up with a lot of stuff I really wanted. (yay). Typically, my family doesn't do so good... Even though several years back we decided to resort to lists, the gifts have usually been a little off the mark.


As I have gotten older, I have started becoming really detailed in my lists. Even going so far as to list the store, item style or name (if applicable), size and color that I want. It seems to be helping ( as evidenced by this years loot!)



However, once in a while, I still manage to get something completely out of left field. Something that didn't make the list, or something that is totally not my style, sometimes it's BOTH!

That's what happened this year. My dad, the great guy that he is, knew we needed a rug for our currently unfinished basement. I had been asking about an old one stored in his basement for some time now. But he thought it better to go out and buy me a new one. Points for him. Unfortunately, it is not my style at all. It's a very formal kilim-style rug, with a large fringe, and colors that appear no where in my home. He also apparently spent a fair bit on it, and does not want me to use it in the basement, but bought it for my main floor.

I of course, smiled and thanked him graciously. However, it's been bugging me since. I really don't think I will use the rug as he intended me to. It is too big for our main floor, and even if it was my style, I didn't want a rug for this floor.

What should I do?

~Should I keep the rug, and use it in the basement (where it is greatly needed), and just shut up about it? Hoping that if he ever sees it, he'll understand?

~ Should I call him and tell him that I really appreciate his kind gesture, but let him know that the rug doesn't really go with the rest of the stuff we currently have? Perhaps suggesting that I would love to go out with him and we could choose one together that would fit a little better?
** note: the possibility of hurting his feelings on this, makes me feel sick**

I know I should just call him, but I don't want to seem like a brat. However, since I know it's a pricey gift, I figure it makes sense for it to at least be spent on something in our style, so we can actually use it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Please know I am not being un-greatful!

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Wow. Thats a tough one. I have no idea what I would do in the situation. I guess it depends on your dad, and how you feel he would handle being told it wasn't really your style. I like the idea of suggesting a little daddy/daughter date out of picking out a new one.
Above all, good luck!