Monday, December 7, 2009

Bright, Shiny Gifts!

What's that glowing under our Christmas tree you may have asked...? Why, presents of course!!!

Last year, Cory's friend's wife created these great glowing presents for centerpieces at a party we went to. I fell in love, and then forgot about them, until we were there last month picking something up. Mike was in the midst of helping her on them, and I immediately begged Cory to get me supplies from work!

Supplies:
~drill
~carbon-fibre drill bit
~ some sort of paste (to keep the drill bit and glass from getting too hot and shattering)
~ glass window blocks (various sizes)
~ mini Christmas lights
~ ribbon
~Adornment for your presents

How-To:

1. Using your carbon-fibre drill it, and the special paste, drill a hole into the side of your glass block ( I got the bf to do this, as I had no idea what I was doing, plus I hear that if it gets too hot, or you touch a seam, it can shatter!!)

2. Let block cool overnight.

3. Use damp rag to clean up paste from hole area. I did not know how to clean up the glass dust inside block, so I didn't!

4. Stuff mini lights inside hole (someone suggested LED, to keep it cool, I didn't wanna pay that much... I used regular lights!)

5. Wrap block like a present with ribbon

6. Add any adornment, like bells, or pinecones, etc.
7. Plug your present in, and smile at how wonderful it looks! Place under tree (especially wonderful before and after the presents make their way underneath!!)
** They actually looked best when there were no presents under the tree.... to really light up the space.**
I'm also gonna search for some narrower ribbon, but for now, they match the theme and get the job done!!! If anyone tries this, please let me know how they turned out!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a cute idea, I posted a link to this on my blog. Hope you stop by to check it out.

Enjoy your day.
Janis

Pretty Little Things for Home & Life said...

Janis,

Thanks for linking me! I'm on my way to check out your site!

Cindy