Friday, October 17, 2014

Fashion Friday: Fall Basics!


I've always had what many might consider to be an unhealthy addiction to shopping.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with it, as I don't really have any other vices, but shopping for clothes, accessories, beauty products and home stuff... well that's just my thing.

I haven't really shared too much of my fashion finds on here because I just figured there are so many gorgeous fashion bloggers out there with much more amazing style, budgets and of course sponsors sending them beautiful things to shoot or even keep!  Of course, I still love looking at their sites and clicking on links, but in reality, my lifestyle necessitates more of a comfortable/casual esthetic.  I work in the construction industry (business casual/casual) and part-time in retail (all black); my weekends are more often than not spent shopping, running errands, working around the house and taking the dog to the park. As such, I have built the majority of my wardrobe around comfortable "Basics" that I can add my personality to with accessories and a fun find or splurge item.  Of course, I go out and love getting a new outfit or item to spice up my wardrobe (I'm most likely going to be splashed all over the social media sites of my friend's, so I don't want to be seen in something I've been captured in before.....). 

But I figured I was probably with the majority here and figured that if I'd like to see fashionable finds for a realistic lifestyle and budget, other people would be too!  So, I'm going to try and aim to post some sort of fashion find every single Friday - sometimes it will just be a great new piece I stumbled upon.  Maybe it will be a wardrobe mash-up to create new outfits and sometimes, like today, I will showcase my Top 5/10/20 (whatever number I like) Picks for a Season/Event/etc.  But everything was attainable for me, on my budget, so it should most likely work for you!!

Without further ado, here are My Top Picks for Fall!


Plaid Shirts
As with everyone else out there, I am LOVING plaid shirts for Fall.  I have a few, but these two are my newest finds and are super comfy!  Best of all?  They're from the G21 line at Walmart and I think cost around $15Cdn each!!!  I like my sleeves rolled up, and these have the little button to keep them in place.  They look great with jeans and leggings.  I've dressed mine up for work with some jewellery and some cute flats; once it gets a little cooler I'll be wearing them with boots.
Similar here


 
 



Patterned Dressy Tank
Since the temperature at my office is so inconsistent, I almost always wear layers.  My usual uniform is cute black pants and a cardigan, but since that can get boring, I make sure what I wear underneath my cardi makes a statement,  like this cute sleeveless top from the Mossimo line at Target .  The front features a great watercolor pattern of gorgeous purples/blues/white on a silky fabric and the back is a super soft modal/jersey fabric.  It's also longer in the back and covers the bum, which is perfect if you want to wear it with leggings. Approx $25 Cdn.


Fantastic Fitting Black Pants
For work, my pants of choice have become Jessica Simpson's Kiss Me Jeggings .  However, the ones I wear are technically not a denim at all, but a soft, stretchy black pant.  They are so super comfy.  Love these and love that they come in a short length!  I wear them with pretty much any kind of top.  They look good with flats, heels and boots!  I hope they never stop making these!  I usually buy them on sale and they cost me around $50 Cdn.


Long Sleeve Striped Tee
I recently picked up a lot of vests and a sleeveless cardi and was looking for a nice striped long sleeve tee to wear with them.  Whenever I think striped long sleeve tee, I think of the Gap and they always have a ton.  I'm a little self-conscious of my mid-section right now, as I'm just getting back to working out so when I found this one with a drop waist and a peplum, I couldn't resist.  I couldn't find it online though, and this was at the Outlet, so check yours.  I'll be straight up and say the drop waist isn't the most flattering on my particular body type, but I wanted  something that wasn't so body conscious and figured that it would more often than not be under a vest or cardi, so I was alright with this being a bit looser.  It's super comfy and I might even see about getting it a tiny bit more tailored.  I think this was about $25 Cdn.
 
 
 
 
Dressy T-shirt
I never seem to have enough t-shirts that are suitable for being dressed up OR down.  This Gap  beauty is exactly the kind of t-shirt I love for weekends!  The cranberry color is new for me and I really like it.  The shirt is soft and comfy but with the lace sleeves and yoke, it adds just enough of something special that I don't feel like a slob if I just pair it with jeans.  But it can be dressed up with a pencil skirt for work!  This was on sale for $20 and I am still thinking about going back and getting the cream one as well.

 
 
Vests 
 
Speaking of vests, here is my absolute NEW FAVE!!  Also from Gap this will be put into heavy rotation for fall. It is super comfy, not too hot and the fur trimmed hood is removable.  It's absolutely perfect with the striped tee or even a black thermal tee and jeans.  At $79.95, this was one of my more expensive pieces, but since it's considered outer wear, that's not surprising.
 


 
 
 
Another fun find was this great loden green silk safari-style belted vest with gold accents!  This picture does NOT do it justice, but it is stunning and it is the reason I went out and bought long sleeved tees to wear with it!  It would also be cute over a maxi dress so I will be doing that some summer next year, for sure!!  Another Winners find, I think this was like $12 in Clearance.  The brand is Chaus, which I have never heard of, but fits phenomenally well, super light weight. I like the longer length which covers the bum!



 Leather Jacket
Another great outer wear piece I stumbled upon is this Marc New York, Andrew Marc leather jacket at Winners .  Definitely more than I usually spend at around $250; this was my SPLURGE item for the month, but I have been wanting one for years and the fit on this one is perfect!  I also needed a dressier jacket for fall and like this option for wearing with something a little more feminine like a flowy floral dress.

 
 
Floral Kimono Top
For a night out with the girls, this kimono style Vero Moda top from Hudson's Bay  is absolutely perfect!  The pretty floral pattern looks great with a neutral cami underneath, some jeans, heels and a leather jacket.  Also the wrap style is super flattering and great for those of us whose mid-section isn't as flat as we'd like. I think this was around $30.00?


 
 
Long Sleeved Romper
Another fun option for a Girl's Night Out is this fun heart-print romper from Target  .  I like it paired with a cute belt, some sexy booties and a great bold clutch!  I think this was around $30-40 as well and was the first time I had ever looked good in a romper so I had to snatch it up!  I don't see it on the US site, but there are similar ones here .
 
 
 
 
Embellished Top
Because you can never have enough fun little tops, this cute sleeveless top with a beaded collar from Gap also came home with me.  I got some great patterned leggings that this would look perfect with and I don't even need to think about accessories!!   I think I got this on sale for about $20.
 
 
 
 
Fit & Flare Dress
Since I'm always a fan of dresses, these cute fit and flares from Old Navy have been my faves lately.  The fit is amazing on my body type and they are just effortless.  I add a cute belt, a fun colored cardigan, some fun jewellery and shoes.  I like changing the color schemes up every time I wear them so people aren't always seeing the same thing. I think I paid about $25 for each but think they are on sale for $15 right now.
 

 
Jeggings in Various Colors
Since I always have a hard time finding pants that fit my body (short legs, muscular calves and thighs, an in-between waist size and a perky booty), if I find some that fit well, are comfy and make my legs and butt look good, I go kind of crazy and have a tendency to buy multiple pairs and often grab every color they have.  It was been that kind of month....
 
Up first are these jeggings from American Eagle that are a neat grey color.  (The picture is showing these a LOT darker than they are, probably the flash hitting the velvety fabric...?Check out the true color online)  The fabric is almost velvet-like, super soft brushed cotton and they fit nice!  They aren't technically a denim, but they are great and a nice change from black pants, leggings or jeans.  I should mention they have different styles as far as waist height.  I also bought some black ones in a high-waist and DO NOT LIKE THEM!!!  I mean I will still wear them, but it was an accident as I didn't read the tag.  High waisted pants just don't work for me.  It's a personal preference and while I think they look great on some girls, just aren't comfy to me.  I prefer just the regular jegging over the Hi-Rise or Sky High.
 
 
Okay, so I have officially found my absolute favorite jeans jeggings! These 1969 Super Stretch Legging Jean .  The wash was a little too "fake blue" for me originally but the amazing fit let me overlook it.  I also bought them in black, but the black dye made those a little tighter.  I'm gonna be stocking up on these, let me tell you!!  They look great as an ankle jean and some flats but I know they are gonna be perfect tucked into boots as well!!  I lucked out and got the original pair on sale but I will most likely shell out full price to get a few more and tuck them into my closet for when these wear out!! 
(I realize this picture makes them look sooooooo short and stubby - my ensuite bathroom isn't deep, so I was standing about a foot away when I took the pictures... But I assure you, these make my legs and butt look great!!)
 
 
 
Sleeveless Drapey Cardigan
Since I love a good cardigan, especially one with a boyfriend-style fit and more of a chunky knit, I grabbed this one a while back at Target and wished I had also grabbed it in navy before it sold out.  It was my first sleeveless one, and it is so cute!!  Perfect for wearing with a colorblocked tee, or even with a fun dress like I did this summer!  I can't find it online, but I'm sure you can find these probably most places.  A cream one is a nice change from my usual grey cardis.

 
 
Gorgeous patterned Infinity Scarves
 
I love anything with birds on it so when I happened upon this pretty green scarf with swallows from a teen girl's jewelry store, I snatched it up so fast. There was a 3/$15 deal or something like that and I was getting accessories for a costume event so this was pretty much a BONUS!

 
I am an Avon Representative purely for the discount on stuff I am ordering anyhow.  Admittedly, since signing up, I order way more things than I regularly would since I get a Demo Discount, and this beautiful scarf is a prime example.  It cost me $10 and the gorgeous purples, pinks and blue in this floral scarf is perfect for fall.  I've worn it a few times already and can't get enough.  It is a lot brighter in this picture than in person, but trust me, it is GORGEOUS!
 

 
 
Preppy Loafers

I regularly don't spend a lot of money on shoes because I have a lot of them, but every once in a while, I will splurge and get a quality pair that I know I will get a lot of wear out of.  I've worn these probably 3-4 times a week since I bought them and they still look brand new!  They are also ridiculously comfy and the classic logo in brown means they look great with all my Autumn stuff.  You can't get more classic than Coach and I found these at Winners so they were less than $100!!


Studded Strappy Heels
Okay, so I know everyone out there is day dreaming about the Valentino stunners every fashion blogger has been sporting.  I can NOT justify that much money for a pair of shoes, so when I saw these come up in a Mark by Avon brochure, I immediately threw them in my cart.  I think they were around $40.  The heel is a lot lower than I typically go and these are a worn-looking bronzey leather like material, but they feature the gorgeous studded straps and look great with jewel toned shirt dresses!


Animal Print Heels
I am still looking for the perfect pair of leopard pumps, but I do have a few pairs with python, including these Cream Suede Platform pumps trimmed in python print.  Another Avon find, believe it or not, they were around $40, I think?
 
Edgy Flats
Okay, so I just realized that almost every pair of shoes featured here are from Avon or Mark by Avon, this pair included.  They are black ultrasuede, with gold/rose gold studded pointy toe caps and a sweet little gold buckle accented bow.  Also around $40. I've only worn them once, so still breaking these in.  They aren't anywhere near as comfy as the Coach loafers but still super cute!



Gorgeous Booties
I am relatively new to the bootie trend.  I just always thought they would look weird on my short legs.  Turns out, I should have been shopping for booties all along, since I don't have to worry about fitting my wide calves!!  These are "suede" and "leather" mix, have edgy buckles and a great cut out.  I think these were more around the $55 mark, but still perfect and another Mark by Avon deal!!
 
 
So these are just a few new pieces I will be mixing into my wardrobe for fall. What are your thoughts?  Am I missing anything key?  Do you have any suggestions on what I should add or do you absolutely HATE anything?  I want to know what YOU think!!
 
Everything listed here is stuff I've purchased.  I tried to find links online, whenever possible, or at least a similar item.  Many of the items were purchased on sale/clearance or are a bit older so they weren't available online.  Plus, many of the Canadian sites don't carry the same stock as the US ones, so I did what I could.. Stores like Winners don't even have shoppable sites so that can be tricky, but the point is to share what I'm liking, and for you to create your own adaptation of what works for you.
I'm short (5'1") and a little curvy right now, so my fave body parts aren't necessarily the same as yours, so find what works for your body type and go with it!

No comments: