Saturday, March 6, 2010

Spring Wreath Reveal

It's a gorgeous spring-like day here today, so I figured it would be the prefect to reveal the new wreath!

As I stated in my last post, I fell for 2 great wreaths, but it was the one at Living with Lindsay that I thought best exemplified spring.  Plus I really have a thing for birds, eggs and nests, so it was perfect.

My eggs didn't turn out quite as I hoped they would, with that perfedct mottled quail's egg texture, but I love how the base colors turned out, so I am alright with that.  Plus, we get few visitors, so it's more for Cory and I than anyone else!

Anyhow, here's a brief description of how I made the wreath, and a cost breakdown:

Supplies
~ grapevine wreath form  $3.99 (Michaels)
~ 2 packages of large plastic eggs; 1 package small plastic eggs ( I tried to choose the most muted colors) $1.00 (Dollarama)
~ white spray primer (Walmart)
~ white spray paint (Walmart; already had)
~ Antique white acrylic paint (Dollarama
~ Greyish Blue acrylic paint ( I used a color called Blue Wisp mixed with Light Colonial Blue; different brands (Dollarama; already had)
~ 2 foam paint brushes
~ cheap skinny dollar store paint brushes (for mottling)
~ floral wire
~ scissors/wire snips


How To:

1. My eggs were attached, so I opedned them, lay them flat and gave them all 2 coats of white primer, especially for the more brightly colored eggs
2. Once dry them came inside and I coated half with Antique White acrylic, the other half with my Blue Wisp/Light Colonial Blue  mixture for a perfect bluey-grey color..  Each egg got 2 coats, to ensure proper coverage
3. Then it was time for the mottling.  I used a cheapie brush to paint splatter the blue eggs with Antique white and a light brown I had (Country Maple).  The Antique white eggs got brown and grey splatter.  Overall, I am not too happy with my splatter effect, but what can you do?  Maybe you'll have better luck.
4. After the eggs were dry, it was time to hang them.  Some of my eggs had holes at each end, some didn't.  It was easy enough to poke holes on each end.  I used a seam ripper cause that's what I had available.
5.  Then I cut stips of floral wire and poked them thru each hole, from the inside.  In hindsight, I wish I had another color wire than green, as I hate being able to see it against the brown wreath.  But I used what I had.
6.  Once your wire is pulled thru, just close your egg up.  Then you can simply wrap the wire around the branches wherever you want your eggs.  It's easiest to use the big eggs first, and then add in some little eggs.
** I hang my wreath on it's hanger, so that I can see how it looks when I step away.  This helps to determine where I have blank spaces, etc.

7. If you wanted to, you could add some feathers tucked in among the branches for a real, "NEST"  feel.  I had thought to do so, but didn't buy the feathers afterall, whoops! 
Since I was using a metal wreath hanger, there was no need for a ribbon, but you could add it as a hanger if you chose to do so.
I actually went with a lot less eggs than I intended.  I didn't want it to look TOO MUCH!  I'm pretty happy with it, I must say.  It's just the right touch for these gorgeous days.

Unfortunately, the scene surrounding my front porch, looks like this right now:
I am currently on the search for something to sit to the left of the door. 
Little bench?  Plant stand? 
Any ideas?

1 comment:

Crafty Sisters said...

Darn it! You've inspired me to add another project to my list. I love the wreath. I went over to Living with Lindsey and checked hers out and the inspiration photo. My door is naked and is in need of something.

Thanks! :)