Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Plug it!!


So one of the biggest things I have been doing in the planning and designing of our new house is ensuring that all the logistics are taken care of. Yes, I know everyone knew I would take care of all the decor-like stuff like paint and cabinet colors and stuff, but I think very few thought I would have the foresight to think about the structural planning.



One of things I have been very careful to factor in, is making sure everything in the house works for us. Part of that, includes making sure all the electrical, telephone and cable outlets are located in places that make sense.



You can bet I was happy when I made sure to look, and found out that the 2 smaller bedrooms do NOT come with telephone or cable outlets, as a standard. No sir! Those are extra, and they don't come cheap.... However as we do plan on using one of them as an office/craft room and the other as a guest room (and both potential children's rooms down the road), we definetly need to factor these in.



Now, my only concern is chosing where we want them located..... this is where a problem comes in. Cory (who didn't even think to check, and then just scoffed at me when I mentioned it, as though it should be standard) believes that we should be fine with just choosing one wall on each room and popping it in there. I, on the other hand, think it might be a good investment to put an extra one in each room. This way, we can move furniture around and placement isn't dictated strictly because of where outlets are located.


(Photo from SuperStock.com )
What do you think??



Cory felt that we could probably just do this ourselves and save some money down the line. However, I feel that anything electrical is best done in advance. My theory is that then you have to get a contractor in, to cut holes in the walls and ceiling, and then figure a way to run the lines from the basement all the way to the 2nd floor. Plus, then you have the patch work job from the damage the contractor made. Wouldn't it just make more sense to have it done now and not have to worry about it??

No comments: