Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Little Softness Underfoot

There's been an unexpected new addition to our living room this week!

Cory works (very) part-time at Rona, and this past weekend, a friend from highschool happened to be there, searching for an area rug for their new house.  He spotted Cory and asked if he could get him a discount on the thing, and being the nice guy that he is, Cory used his employee discount to help a buddy out.  He ended up getting the thing for a great price and the guy came to pick up the rug last night.

Unfortunately, tonight he got a call from said guy who was not digging the rug in his space.  He actually said it was attracting lint and wanted to return the thing.  So of course Cory said no problem and the guy dropped it off. Earlier in the evening, I had mentioned (jokingly) that I'd look at the rug and see if I liked it, just to get Cory to stop whining about having to take the darn thing back.

When I came down from my nap 3 hours later ( sue me, I wasn't feeling great...), I took one look at the rolled up rug and immediately veto'd it.  Yes it was cream and shaggy, which was what I envisioned for the space even before it was finished being built, but there were long shimmery pieces of wool, and I thought it looked kinda cheap, so I didn't even bother with it.

Another hour later, again sick of hearing his complaints about having to lug the big thing back, I decided to at least unroll the rug and give it a chance.  Well, wouldn't you know, turns out I like it!!
Now I know that "design people" would say the rug is too small for the space.  I know the rule of thumb for rugs is that the front legs of all seating should be on the rug.  But to actually see the space, you would know it's a lot wider than it looks in photos.  Plus, I was a little hesitant to cover up the gorgeous floors!  I actually like the little dark wood border around the rug.

Although, yes, I can see it's a little off-centre right now...but the coffee table is huge and heavy and Cory's in bed and I can't grab him to help me move it....

I think it adds a little something to the room.. a nice texture that was missing before. 
Oh, and did I mention it is the softest rug ever.  Like amazingly soft on bare feet.
Plus, those shimmery threads I didn't like at first glance, add a sparkle to the whole deal, and really make it look pretty luxe.
Am I completely nuts?  Does it look ridiculous?  (excuse the poor midnight photo quality that makes all the colors look gross!)

Let me know what you think!!  I'd love to hear it and get another opinion, before someone spills on it, and we can't return it!

1 comment:

I Can Craft That said...

I know this is a little late for comment and at this point you are probably committed but I think it is too small. The colour is great, but its too small for the area. There is a reason us designers have rules of thumb on rug size, because it works. Though I see why you wouldnt want to cover up those gorgeous floors, but then it WILL help protect them.