Monday, April 6, 2015

Some Pretty Little Things.....

Ugh.... I don't know about you, but the weather here absolutely CAN. NOT. DECIDE on whether it's ready to be Spring, or if Winter is gonna stick around for a little longer...
 
 
 
As such, the outside spaces around here are a little less than lovely looking right now.  Namely, my backyard which I have refused to even step in. 

 
The other day, while picking up supplies for my Easter Baskets , I came across the Holy Grail of cute bird-themed Garden Accessories at the Dollarama.
 
I may have mentioned this a time or two, but birds are my jam. I especially like them for outdoor spaces.  I never thought I would be the type of person who likes "gnome" style items in their out spaces and then last year I came across some birds and that was it for me.  Plus, I like whimsy and the addition of little things among the flowers in the summer makes me happy.  As such, I picked up quite a few little tchotchkes....

 
Since it will be a while before I can get to place these in the actual garden beds, they are currently residing on the table of the top deck.  I figure the additional time outside might "weather" them a bit more and tone down some of the brighter colors on some of them.
 
I snagged a little of everything.  A few of my favorite finds from last year were the solar powered bird lights.  These are a little smaller in stature than the ones I got last year, but with cuter faces.
 
 
 
 
I also liked a few of these "wishful thinking" stones. 
 
 


 
 
It's a little hard to see, but the one on the left says "Please grow", a sentiment I repeat over and over again every year.  My green thumb is just starting to develop and I am self-taught in the ways of gardening so sometimes it's a little hit and miss....
 
Then of course, there are the purely cute statues like this little trowel-wielding blue bird.


 

These "weathered" looking guys are pretty fake looking, but I liked them anyhow. 
 
 
But I was most happy to find the next two little stones.  You may remember last year I lost both my cats.  Mischu passed away in June and then Greyson in November.  After Mischu passed, I planted some roses in the garden in his honor and then spent the rest of the summer looking for the right little garden ornament to go along with it.  Unfortunately, I never did find the right one - until this weekend.  I wasn't even looking for them, but I came across these two and they are absolutely perfect!!  One for each of my boys! 


 
 
Greyson was my "bunny cat" (his ears were always a little big) and Mischu was my "little bird" ( his meow was the perfect little bird chirp!)  With their little "Peace" and "Hope" blessings, they couldn't be more right.  I can't wait to add them, and some flowers in Greyson's honor to the back garden.


 In the meantime, I will leave you with some of the depressing shots of my back deck, which will be getting some attention in the next couple weekends.


 
The dead flowers in these pots need to be cleared out ASAP.  Plus I have a feeling that "someone" may be picking the tomatoes off the plant and then stepping on them and making a big mess.....

 
A few of the coffee mug planters in the wall baskets broke so those need to get cleaned up.  A few more dead plants to clean up and this area needs to be cleaned up in general.
 

 
That dead grass is going to need a LOT OF WORK!!

Yes, those are rust spots on my deck from beverage cooler cart.  I think a couple bottle caps got kept in the cap bin and over the winter - rusted and dripped.
 
I can't wait for warmer weather so I can get out there and start tackling some of this mess and beautifying my space with the pretty little garden additions.  What outdoor projects will you be tackling this Spring?  I'd love to hear!

No comments: