Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mad Hatter Tea Party Bridal Shower: DIY Headpiece

This weekend I attended the Bridal Shower for a girl friend's sister.  The theme was Mad Hatter Tea Party and we were all to come in a fancy hat.  I didn't really feel like wearing a regular hat, and much rather wanted to do somethng like  a fascinator.  I had seen some at Winners a couple weeks back so I headed out on Saturday to pick one up.  Unfortunately, when I got there, there wasn't much left and of what there was, there was only one that wasn't all broken or ruined.

It was a simple headband in black satin with a huge mess of black feathers on top.  I snatched it up, figuring that if nothing better showed up, I could always gussy it up with a little DIY.

After searching a few more stores, that's exactly what I did!

A quick stop at the Dollarama  yielded a pretty little foam birdie and a package of brightly colored butterflies.  A quick 5 minutes later ( I was running a little late and didn't think to snap some PROGRESS OR BEFORE SHOTS) I had something a LOT more fun:



This little bird was such a big hit!  Everyone loved pointing him out!

I intially added the bird and Cory  thought that was perfect, but it felt like it was missing something and those 2 little butterflies were the perfect addition of height and color!

I was originally worried that it might look too much like just a headband but the addition of the "creatures" really made it look more like a nest atop my head.

So happy with how it turned out! 



Headband:  $12.99 (Winners)
Bird: $1.00 (Dollarama)
Butterflies: 4/$1.00 (Dollarama)
Total:  $14.99


Such a cute alternative to the rehular sunhats etc that everyone else sports!!

No comments: