Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A little insight

When I set out creating this blog, it was just an outlet for me to share beautiful home things I found. Then, we moved and I wanted to record some of the things we did around our home. Unfortunately, it has less become about that, and more about... Well a little of everything. Which I don't mind, cause it's nice to be able to post about whatever my mind wants that day. But lately, I've been a little consumed.

You see, my mom has been struggling with some health issues for the last while and just recently, it has taken a turn for the worse. She is constantly in and out of hospitals, and in and out of the city for this test or that. We're still not even entirely sure what's quite wrong... She has completely lost her strength. Basic tasks like walking are harder each day and doing laundry is a 3 day ordeal.

She currently needs surgery but can't even proceed with that, as she's not strong enough to be put under...

The hardest part, for me, is that she doesn't live here in the city with us. She's only an hour and a half north, but the drive is still long and exhausting. Especially during the week, when I still have to go to work in the mornings.

I had briefly broached the subject to her about looking at an alternative living arrangement a while back. Surprisingly, I wasn't shut down. In fact, she was the first to mention an adult living facility... My original thought had been a small place in the city, so she could be close to us.

I've started researching possibilities and realized it's a lot more daunting than I believed. I mean, she's totally still capable of taking care of herself - she's just not strong enough to do so. Especially living in a very old home that requires a lot of work.

Then there's the expense. From what I have inquired about, those facilities DO NOT come cheap. And that's if you can even get in one! There are long wait lists...

Mom was admitted again last night. She told us not to come. We respected her request, but at the same time I feel awful, leaving her alone there. Especially since she is not well.

I will most likely be making a trip out there tonight to see if she needs anything. And mostly just to be with her.

I do actually have some posts, now that the weather is nice and I can work on things, so they will come. But for now, this is where I am.

Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

No comments: