Sunday, January 10, 2016

Best Dressed: Golden Globes 2016

It's that time of year again folks, AWARDS SEASON!!


As a gal who always wanted to pursue either fashion or acting.....  and now works in residential construction....   you can imagine how much I love watching and making lists of all my favorite pretty dresses and of course, what new shows/movies I need to add to my ever-growing lists!



So without further ado, here is My Top 10 Best Dressed from this year's Golden Globes!

10.  Kirsten Dunst in Valentino Couture


I am never a fan of a black dress in general, let alone a for big, fancy awards show where you can go all out -  but this dress just fit her AMAZINGLY!!!  The ties on the front of this dress are EVERYTHING.  So I would like to give props to bread and cheese, as Ms. Dunst recently said that she had indulged, in order to gain weight for her role in Fargo.   My only dislike was her red-eyes on the



9. Emmy Rossum in Armani Prive


Once again, I typically choose more extravagant and ornate dresses, but doesn't she look just absolutely stunning in this red column?  I find this type of dress can often leave the wearer a little shapless, but this is perfectly cut.  That diamond necklace, reminiscent of a shooting star, is the perfect compliment to such a simple look and really takes it over the top!  Her hair is shiny, simple and beautiful!


8.  Jennifer Lopez in Giambattista Valli Haute Couture


J-Lo can either be an extreme hit or miss for me, but this is definitely a HIT!  I love that she took a risk with a different color and went far more covered-up than we usually see her - with an added capelet, no less.  But of course, she made up for it what that stunning though-high slit to show off her amazing gams!  Her stunning  Neil Lane Lariat-style necklace is very unexpected with the cut of this neckline, and definitely the length I would have picked, but somehow works!   Love that she kept her new short do- unfussy and loose.

7. Jenna Dewan-Tatum in Zuhair Murad Couture


Okay, we already know this girl has amazing taste... I mean her husband?  Yes please!  But this new mom looks lovely in this celestial inspired princess gown, with a deep v-neckline!  My favorite part of this dress is that it has POCKETS!!! She kept her accessories almost non-existent since her dress was so sparkly and I love that.  I only wish her hair was a little less "I simply threw my hair up in the limo on the way here...." - it's a bit too messy for me, but I am gonna overlook that and just check out the eye candy on her arm instead  ;)

6. Kate Bosworth in Dolce & Gabbana


Anyone who knows me, knows I am like a magpie and can't resist shiny, pretty things, so it was no surprise that I was drawn to this dress. It takes a lot of chutzpah to wear a full-on sequin dress and while Bosworth does it with aplomb... I must say that the true beauty of this dress is not when it is coming, but when it is going......

That train is everything and this shot is like liquid magic following her!  LOVE THIS!!

5.  Amber Heard in Gucci


She's one of my biggest Girl-Crushes so I pretty much love everything she wears, but I am so enamored with the fact that she chose a pretty dress instead of her usual Bombshell look.  I always love when a dress has an overlay like this, to create an incredible look and color.   The flowers on the neckline that continue around to the back of this dress are so lovely.  Just proof that this gal can pull anything off!   Again, another gal who went with a lovely, simple hairdo.  Perfection!


4. Saiorse Ronan in Yves Saint Laurent Couture by Heidi Slimane

Okay, YAY!!!   A simply beautiful young lady in a simply beautiful Grecian gown!  There's not a lot going on here:  The dress is white perfection with little detailing other than it's extraordinary cut and lovely train.  The jewels are so simple, as is the hair and make up which does not detract from the dress.  But it all just works.  Far too often, you see young ladies at these awards trying TOO HARD to look glamorous and it simply just does not work for them.  Thank you to Ronan for choosing a dress that suits her and looking lovely in it!

3. Jamie Alexander in Genny


I am a true believer in the fact that when you look as stunning as this statuesque beauty does, you can pretty much get away with anything. But I love that she has stuck with her red-carpet regimen of a jewel-toned dress that just POPS against her fair skin and dark hair.  The emerald color of this geometric print dress is superb on her!  I love that she went with an unknown designer, cause let's be fair, this beauty is on the rise - so proof that it's all about the dress and not the label.  Simple emerald earrings are all that she has chosen to accessorize with.  Again, while I appreciate the simple hair so as not to detract from the dress, I think she and Ms. Dewan-Tatum could have gone a little less messy...  But overall, beautiful!


2. Melissa Benoist in Monique Lhullier



This was the first dress I saw, when I peeked online and immediately fell in LOVE!!!!!   This dress is like my absolute favorite wallpaper, re-imagined in a beautiful dress and I mean that as the most amazing compliment!!  Birds on a dress will always be a win in my book!!!!  Now this is how a beautiful young lady should dress to one of her first big awards shows - as a presenter no less!  Her accessories were very well chosen as complements to this lovely, SUBTLY patterned dress.   Her hair and makeup are easy, breezy and so perfect for her age!  Super girl indeed!!


1. Brie Larson in Calvin Klein Collection


Okay, I was all set and ready to crown Ms. Benoit as my Best Dressed this year (which is a big feat, considering she was the first dress I saw.....) but then Brie Larson came on screen and OWNED IT!!!!!   First of all, girl is GILDED PERFECTION in this stunning, custom gold beaded gown.  There's admittedly a lot going on here: a halter-style neckline that acts as it's own necklace; all that shimmery gold; sneaky-peeky cleavage cut out; those side cut-outs that highlight the actresses slim bod and yet, there's nothing ostentatious or overtop about it.  She knocks it out of the park with neutral makeup, simple yet starkly side parted, loosely waved hair.  Another young lady wearing a beautiful dress but she outshines the dress!!!


So that my friends were my faves.  Looking back over my picks, I see a recurring trend:  beautiful young ladies in stunning dresses, keeping their hair, makeup and accessories so simple, letting them be the true stars!  When I do my Best-Dressed lists, I always make sure that I focus on the "Dressed" part of it.  There are always stunning dresses that I write down, that don't actually make the list because they didn't fit properly or suit the person wearing them and therefore, didn't make the Actress look her best. Even Jennifer Lopez, who will always be a glamazon, kept her hair loose and lovely.  Proving: Gone are the days of over-the-top hair, too much makeup and women letting dresses wear them!  I am beyond excited with the showing tonight and can't wait for the rest of the awards shows this season!

Who were YOUR top picks?  I'd love to hear!

No comments: