Monday, January 25, 2016

Batch Cooking: Crustless Mini Quiche

During the week I work 2-3 jobs, play volleyball 1 night a week and have a weekly girl's night.  In addition to all that, I try and squeeze in walking the dog and working out every night... it doesn't always happen and I'm often EXHAUSTED so preparing my meals for the week is sometimes overlooked which leads to eating out more than I'd like.

In an effort to try and eat better, save money and be overall just more prepared and organized, I recently started trying batch cooking. So on Sundays, I start cooking a good portion of my food for the week.  It seems to be working pretty well and it's super convenient to know that if I need to grab something quick, on my way out the door, there's actually something there!!

Of course, like many people Breakfast was one of those meals I was simply either not eating OR eating unhealthy foods for.  I am NOT  a morning person so getting up with enough time to eat at home does not happen,  so I was happy to find a couple items that I could just pre-bake, pop in a Tupperware and heat up when I get to work.

This crustless quiche recipe was super easy to make (key for me) and I really liked it!


Ingredients:
- 3 cups frozen hashbrowns, thawed and drained
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 7 eggs
-6 pieces bacon, pre-cooked & crumbled into bits
-1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
-1 cup shredded cheese (I used Jabenero Heat)
- 1/2 milk




How To:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray cooking spray inside a standard muffin tin.
 
 

 2. In a big bowl combine hashbrowns, melted butter and salter & pepper.  Spoon approx. 2 tbsps. hashbrown mixture into each muffin tin, pressing gently to form a base for the quiche.  Bake crusts til they are golden-brown, approx. 12-15 mins.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool. 


3. Place a few pieces of bacon and tomatoes atop the crusts

 
4. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt & pepper to taste.  Pour mixture into each muffin tin, leaving approx. 1/4" from top of tin.  Top with cheese. 
5. Bake approx. 12-15 mins. or until mixture has puffed up and is golden brown.  Remove from oven and cool before attempting to remove quiches from tin.


 
 
6. Enjoy!    I put two of these in a Tupperware container as part of my at-work breakfasts!


 
 
Tips:  *Make sure you don't skimp on the PAM spray, otherwise it can be a little tricky to get the potato mixture out of the tins. 
**Silicone muffin pans are handy for popping the quiche out BUT require longer cooking time.

No comments: