Thursday, April 4, 2019

3 Ways to Set Your Table for Spring

This past weekend on my Instastories, I shared 3 Different Ways to Set your Dining Table for Spring.

I got some great feedback on the post and was glad to see people loving the idea.  So I figured I would do a little recap here as well.  I really wanted to create 3 very different styles since my followers are very diverse.  So I set about envisioning 3 different scenarios:  An everyday natural table, a bright and colorful girly table and a more formal Easter table Setting.




























Setting #1:  Everyday Natural


For this place setting, I wanted to do something really natural that would work for everyday.  Or at least every day at MY house.  It’s not too fussy, with some nice natural texture and simple dinnerware and glasses.  Even the centrepiece is as natural as you can get:  leafy branches!





I left the table free of any tablecloth or runner and really let the wood grain of my table take center-stage here.  For some addition texture, I picked up these">https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40082536/">these woven chargers
and they were the perfect base for simple, unadorned dinnerware.  The place setting is Royal Doulton “Just White” and while it doesn’t look like it’s in stock anymore, I’m going to track down a couple more pieces as I have a chip and a missing side plate.  Any simple, white set with little to no detailing would work fine.



I layered a white linen napkin between the salad and dinner plate and while I got mine at HomeSense you can find these anywhere (but HomeSense prices are great!) The gold flatware is another HomeSense find as well.   Many retailers are carrying different versions of these at many different price points. 



The water glasses I’ve had forever and they are my favorite.  I believe my parents purchased them for me when I first moved out years and years ago, and I have been looking for another set of the same since.  The weight on these is perfect and the full set had 4 different sized glasses.  If I can find them again ever, I will share.  They have a simple ribbed- look detail on them.  



The centrepiece is a simple large clear glass vase with rope knotted around it and has a Coastal/Nautical vibe.  It is also old from Home Sense.  (Are you seeing a theme here? )   






Setting #2:  Whimsical Floral





For this next tablescape I knew I wanted to use these pretty Martha Stewart plates with a pink and green floral design.  They are VERY OLD (I was maybe 16 when I asked for them) and just scream Spring to me.  So I decided to play on the pink theme and just go all out.  I had the fun ribbed placemats from Ikea like 20 years ago.  The pink cotton napkins are probably just as old and from Jysk .  They’re another inexpensive place to look for home decor pieces. I apparently forgot to add glasses here and used the same flatware.
  

The base was set with a Damask Stripe Table cloth in white.  Mine is probably HomeSense but every home store carries a similar version of this.  I spotted these pink Gerbera daisies while out grocery shopping and they looked great in a simple Mason jar.  Tip:  We love Classico pasta sauce and save all our jars to reuse. 

The fun leaf-shaped platter and side plates are discontinued and were Princess House, which is not available in Canada any lingers. But I would suggest looking at Home a Sense and Pier 1 for similar pieces.   I added in some white ceramic birds I’ve gotten as gifts throughout the years (Michaels is great for this).  The owl salt & pepper shakers were from Target (also long departed from Canada) 



I think it’s fun and super cute! 

Setting #3:  Elegant Easter 



This tablescape was actually modelled after one I did a few years ago.  I found this beautiful paisley tablecloth and napkins many year ago at...... (take a guess...) and it’s held up wonderfully.   It’s a very busy pattern so I wanted to use rather simple cream dishes, but still something more formal than the white ones I used previously.  So I went for these cream Princess House Pavillion plates.  I like the combination of the scalloped dinner plate with the square side plate.  I also put out the matching mini butter dish and salt & pepper shaker.    The cut crystal glasses are Princess House as well.














I kept with the same gold flatware as I did in the other two settings, which I think work well here since they look super elegant with the paisley tablecloth. 

Of course, one of the cutest details is the sweet vintage looking bunny napkin ring.  I got them a couple years ago from Home Outfitters but I am sure you could find something similar at HomeSense or Pier 1.

For my centerpiece, I simply pillaged stuff from around my house:  various mercury glass candlestick holders from Ikea, a sweet blue bird and painted birdhouse from Dollarama, and lastly a clear rectangular vase full of cream mini Gerbera daisies.


I feel like I covered a good variety of styles and events.  I did not buy anything new for these, I just used stuff from around my house.  I wanted to show that it's easy to put together a cute/elegant, festive table on a budget.

Hopefully I've managed to inspire you.  Let me know which looks is your favorite.

No comments: