Monday, January 26, 2009

Not your average nightstand.

Years ago, mom built me some nightstands. I designed the style and she put them into being. However, they weren't 100% sturdy. Most notably, the drawer. Unfortunately, I tend to put a lot in the nightstand, and the bottom continually fell out. As well, it stuck when being pulled out or pushed in. Struggling to open the drawer, usually meant some wiggling, and often, an over-eager opener ended up knocking everything from the tabletop, to the floor.



Also, while the nightstands were in scale with my old Double-sized bed, they are way too small for the new King bed. So, I've been searching for new ones for a while. Initially, I was planning on purchasing the stands to match the new dresser ( even though I don't like the matchy-matchy look, these were perfect). But not only did the store I worked at, close down, but I would prefer not to spend that kind of money on nightstands.....



So I've come up with a design idea, I just have to try it out logistically.... I'm really liking the size of the Ikea Malm chests of drawers, either 2 or 3 drawers.

I am leaning towards the three-drawer, just because I think the scale is the best. The black-brown color works with the rest of furniture in the space. However, in keeping with the style of the dresser, I think I would like some similar hardware. Item E is the best online picture I can find. However, at Walmart of all places, I found the exact silver knobs that we have on the dresser.

At either $59 or $89 per chest, plus about $10 for the hardware, at less than $100 a nightstand, I think it's a great idea.

Thoughts???

No comments: